The STEM Education Outreach was started in 2007 at UCCS with the help from a generous grant from the Air Force Office of Scientific Research. Here is a general overview of what we do:
- STEMeo just received funding October 1, 2021 from Northrup Grumman to support before/after school STEM clubs at local elementary and middle schools. If you are interested in pursuing a STEM club at your school, please email Vicki Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Funding received from Lockheed Martin for the STEM in Real Life Program will support all-day Engineering and Technology workshops for Pre-Collegiate high students. More information about these exciting hands-on opportunities will be posted soon.
- We also support K-12 STEM workshops for school groups on campus and in your school. If you are interested in bringing a group of students to campus please check out our brochure and reach out for more information.
- Our team of undergraduate students all support faculty on staff by providing opportunities for them to share their field of study and/or research with K-12 students. Some examples are:
- Chemistry Outreach – Dr. Kevin Tvdry and Dr. James Kovacs have made elementary student outreach part of their Chemistry Capstone class with seniors on campus. For the past 3 years, we have brought students from Monterey Elementary School on campus to experience the Chemistry of Taste workshop and lab tours. Check out the pictures here!
- Dr. Michael Calvisi – is part of the mechanical engineering faculty that has an interesting research project in the area of bioengineering. He has worked with computer science students to develop an educational video game that allows the students to learn about his research in a fun hands-on way. We continue to provide the opportunity for middle and high school students to test and give feedback on his game.
- We also support hands-on outreach in the Colorado Springs community by having booths at the UCCS Cool Science Carnival, What-If? Festival, STEM nights at local schools and many other events.